Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Crunchy Granola

Since I've been making my own yogurt, I thought it might be time to try making granola as well. I think I've tried it once before, a long time ago. This batch was good, though the oats got a bit too dark. The toasted almonds are perfect. The recipe came from Feast by Nigella Lawson. The official UK version (with masses instead of volume measurements) is here.
Andy's Fairfield Granola

cups rolled oats
1 cup/4 oz. sunflower seeds
¾ cup/4 oz. sesame seeds

¾ cup/6 oz. apple sauce

2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
⅓ cup brown rice syrup or rice malt syrup, or failing that, golden syrup

¼ cup clover honey or other honey

¾ cup light brown sugar

2 cups/8 oz. whole almonds

1 tsp. sea salt
2 tbsp. sunflower oil

2 cups raisins


Mix everything except the raisins together very well in a large mixing bowl. I use a couple of curved, rigid spatulas; normally, I’d be happy to use my hands, but here it just leaves you covered with everything.

Spread this mixture out on two baking tins (the sort that come with ovens, and are about the width of a rack) and bake in a 300-325°F oven, turning over about halfway through baking and re-distributing the granola evenly during the baking process. The object is to get it evenly golden without toasting too much in any one place. This should take anything from about 40 minutes. I use a gas oven, which doesn’t brown as fast as an electric one, so often leave it in for up to an hour.

Once it’s baked, allow to cool and mix together with the raisins. Store airtight.

1 comment:

  1. I made granola again today, it's better this time. I think the trick is to stir often (every 8-10 minutes) to prevent it from getting too dark. Also, 40 minutes is too long, it was done in 30-35, even though I did it in a single pan, so a much ticker layer.

    ReplyDelete