Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Homemade Yogurt

Yesterday I made yogurt. I have made it a couple times before, with a yogurt maker some years ago, but this was my first time making it with no special equipment. It was easy, inspired by Harold McGee's column in the New York Times, They Do the Work, You Reap the Yogurt.

It turned out perfectly. It's satisfying and a bit magical to have made something by microbial action (like sauerkraut, but starting with a known culture) that turned out correctly. I wouldn't say it pays off as a money-saving venture, as I managed to turn $1.00 worth of milk plus about $0.07 of yogurt into a $2.19 quart of yogurt, at a time investment of about 20 minutes, but it is good and fresh and sort of fun, like making cheese.

Another intriguing mention in the article was making crème fraîche, something that is hard to come by around here. I found a recipe from the Splendid Table that uses buttermilk as a culture, as McGee does, or you can order cultures from The New England Cheesemaking Supply Company (where we got our cheesemaking kit) as well.

1 comment:

  1. Strangely enough, this didn't work at all when I tried it with a Greek-style strained yogurt as a starter culture. It was Fage Total, and lists ingredients as "Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus)."

    ReplyDelete