Search This Blog

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Chicago style pizza

I've recently become enamored of Alton Brown's recipe for pizza dough. Makes a nice thin crust pizza at 550° F on a pizza stone. On the other end of the pizza scale, I've been wanting to perfect my Chicago Pan Pizza recipe. I attempted it this weekend for the first time in a long time. Influenced by this recipe, I tried it with these proportions for the crust:
1 cup water
2¾ cups flour
¼ cup cornmeal
½ tsp. salt
¼ cup olive oil
2 tsp. yeast
After running it in the stand mixer with a dough hook for a while, the dough was still too sticky, so I threw in some more flour. Probably still not enough, I'd cut down the water in this recipe. Also, double the salt to 1 tsp. Otherwise, pretty good. Cover with sliced mozzarella, mushrooms, sausage, a can of diced tomatoes and grated parmesan, in that order. I would use a full pound of mozzarella next time, and maybe a little more tomato sauce with the diced tomatoes. It's getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment