Search This Blog

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Food of substance

I've often wondered what fraction of our nutrition we really get from our weekly vegetable box. Lots of vitamins and minerals, obviously, and some fiber, and it gets us eating less meat in general, which is good. It's surely a long way off enough for us to eat from, though, and the early season vegetables don't have many calories. Most meals are augmented with rice, bread, or pasta at least. Now, for the first time this season, we get some real starch: potatoes. And they look nice.
  • Beets
  • Cucumbers
  • Dandelion
  • Garlic
  • Kale
  • Lettuce
  • Onions
  • Parsley
  • Potatoes
  • 3 zucchinis
  • 2 yellow squash

1 comment:

  1. Lettuce, mixed field greens, patty pan squash, basil, flat leaf parsley, blueberries, scallions, and onions for this weeks' share.

    Alas, no kale. I made the kale pie you have posted, and oh my! It was late, and I was quite hungry when it came out of the oven, so I thought the speed with which my piece disappeared was due to hunger. Nope. My lunch the next day went just as fast. That's possibly the yummiest thing I've ever had with kale. AND I've had some pretty darn amazing kale soups, so that's saying something!

    ReplyDelete