Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bagna cauda

Bagna cauda has been on my radar screen since it was in the New York Times a few months ago.  I hadn't gotten around to making it, but then I saw a recipe in Nigel Slater's Real Fast Food.  It's more olive oil than butter, compared with Craig Claiborn's recipe which was two parts butter to one part oil.  I made a half recipe, which was a lot for two of us.  I'm sure that the buttery version would be good too, but I liked the olive oil-dominated recipe.  It wasn't too fishy from the anchovies, but they give it a nice savory umami flavor.
Broccoli with Bagna Cauda

6 tbl. butter
1 cup olive oil
8 cloves garlic,minced
12 anchovy fillets, rinsed and dried
1 lb. broccoli

Melt the butter in a small saucepan.  Add the garlic and cook over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes.  It must not brown and turn bitter.  Add the anchovies, which will virtually dissolve with a bit of stirring.  Pour in the olive oil slowly, stirring all the time.  Simmer, not boil, for 10 minutes.  Blanche the broccoli in boiling water for a couple of minutes; keep it crisp.  Serve the sauce hot. in a bowl, stirring it up  with the drained sprigs of broccoli each time you dip them in.  Soak up the remaining sauce with hunks of bread.

2 comments:

  1. There's a Nigella Lawson broccoli sauce that's really amazingly good. It's a combo of butter (6 T), dijon mustard (2 t), juice of half a lemon and capers (2 T). I reduce the quantity of butter - I just can't bring myself to use as much as she calls for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorites! Also good for dipping: thinly sliced fennel root and cauliflower (and anything else you like, really). Leftovers reheat well. Sometimes I also add rosemary, and other herbs are probably good as well.

    Today we made spider cake for breakfast! Yum.

    ReplyDelete