Search This Blog

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Waffles (or: Joy of Cooking 1, Alton Brown 0)

We decided that waffles would make a great Saturday morning vessel for our Five Fruits Sauce, uh, Jam. I am the primary waffle maker (probably; instigator, definitely) and I reached for our Joy when Kels asked why I always use that recipe. Why not try another one? Why not indeed. So he reached for Alton Brown and found his. Look, it's much simpler! And indeed it was. What we learned: there is a reason that they come out so fabulously when you go to the trouble to separate the eggs, and beat, then fold in, the egg whites. We have a Villaware Belgian waffle maker, and the Alton Brown ones did not rise enough. Overdone on the bottom, deflated and doughy on top, these were not keepers. Tasty with the jam, though....

1 comment:

  1. There is an AB recipe that has worked well for me - it's listed as 'Basic Waffle' on the food network site. Is this the one you used? (I do have an old and relatively flat waffle iron, though. Best $3 I ever spent at a yard sale, I must say.)

    I generally substitute flax seed meal for 0.75 oz of the whole wheat flour. It give it a nice nutty flavor. Might be time to make those again soon....

    ReplyDelete