Search This Blog

Sunday, March 18, 2007

No-knead bread

[One thing I like about the new version of blogger is that it lets you backdate the post time, to when I actually cooked something. I am posting this 11 days later]

I got around to trying the recipe for no-knead bread that appeared in the New York Times a while back. I've never been much of a bread baker, but this recipe appealed to me with its simplicity, so I tried it. The dough was almost a batter, very sticky.

The "dough"rose overnight, and was bubbly the next afternoon, when I tried to work it, but it was pretty gooey. All you need to do is fold it into thirds and let it rest before a final rising, but I wasn't very successful getting it to fold without sticking. Then I sat it on a heavily floured towel, and it rose a little, before baking it at 350 in a Le Crueset cast-iron casserole dish.

The crust was great, but it hadn't risen very much. If this had been an attempt at foccacia I might have been more pleased with the result. It also made a huge mess of the towel it was sitting on for the final rise, which may not be salvageable. I will try a few thing differently next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment